If you experience issues with the game not starting correctly, please follow the following troubleshooting steps:
1) Do you have an anti-virus program installed on your computer?
Lots of games have problems with overprotective anti-virus programs. If you are using anti-virus please make sure Stronghold Warlords has been added to your list of exceptions. Please consult your anti-virus manual for instructions on how to do this. The default installation path for the Stronghold Warlords game file is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stronghold Warlords\bin\win32_release\StrongholdWarlords.exe
2) Make sure you have installed the prerequisite files required to run Stronghold Warlords
- Latest DirectX files:
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (MFC Security Update):
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stronghold Warlords\resources\redist\vcredist_2010_x86.exe *
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stronghold Warlords\resources\redist\vcredist_2019_x86.exe
3) Verify your Stronghold Warlords files
- Login to the Steam client
- Within Library, right-click on Stronghold Warlords and select Properties
- Select the Local Files tab and click the Verify Integrity of Game Cache... button.
- Steam will check all the game files were downloaded correctly. This process may take several minutes. If any files are missing Steam will download them the next time you run the game.
4) Delete your Stronghold Warlords initialisation file
Locate your C:\Users\[User]\Documents\Stronghold Warlords\Profiles folder and delete options.xml. This will force Stronghold Warlords to redetect your computer settings again when loading the game.
5) Create a new local user account
Some errors occur because of a problem with the current Windows local user account. Create a new local user account using the following instructions:
Run Stronghold Warlords in the new local user account.
6) Use the Windows System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted Windows system files
System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. This article describes how to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files.
If you are still experiencing problems, please contact support with the following information:
- A detailed description of the problem
- A list of any security systems on your computer including anti-virus software
- A dxdiag file from your computer so that we can view your computer spec. Instructions on how to create a dxdiag file can be found here: http://support.fireflyworlds.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/115
* - this is the default Steam install location for Stronghold Crusader 2