If you are having problems running Stronghold Legends please follow these troubleshooting steps before contacting support...
1) Make sure you have installed the prerequisite files required to run Stronghold Legends
This should happen when you first run the game through Steam but sometimes they may not get installed, especially if you have updated the old version from the Stronghold Collection.
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (MFC Security Update):
2) Verify your Stronghold Legends files
- Login to the Steam client
- Within Library, right-click on Stronghold Legends and select Properties
- Select the Local Files tab and click the Verify Integrity of Game Cache button.
- Steam will check all the game files were downloaded correctly. This process may take several minutes. If any files are missing Steam will download them the next time you run the game.
3) Delete your Stronghold Legends "packfile.fpf" file
Locate your C:\ProgramData\Firefly Studios\Stronghold Legends folder and delete packfile.fpf. This will force Stronghold Legends to rebuild the game files during the initial game load. NOTE: If you have not been able to load the game yet this file may note exist.
4) Delete your Stronghold Legends graphics settings file
There is a chance your graphics settings could be preventing the game from running correctly. Locate your C:\Users\[User]\Documents\Stronghold Legends\Profiles folder and delete StrongholdLegends.GraphicsSettings.xml. This will force Stronghold Legends to redetect your computer settings again when loading the game.
5) Delete your Stronghold Legends profile
There is a chance your Stronghold Legends user folder is corrupt. Locate your C:\Users\[User]\Documents and rename your Stronghold Legends folder to "Stronghold Legends Old". When you next run the game a new Stronghold Legends profile folder will be created.
If you do need to rename this folder to get the game working, your old saves and campaign progress won't appear in game. Don't worry, they are backed up in the folder that you renamed, and we can help you restore them.
6) Create a new Stronghold Legends profile location
Some problems can be caused by your computer not being able to read or write to the default profile directory. In order to workaround this problem we have created a system to manually set a new profile directory path.
To change the profile directory path edit the options_override.xml file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stronghold Legends, or within located within your own custom installed directory.
The file contains a single parameter: <override user_data_path="" />
To change the directory, edit the file so that the path to the new directory in which you want to save is between the quotations. When using this option, a new "Stronghold Legends" directory will be created in the directory specified i.e. if you specify "c:\users\documents\games" then the game will create a "c:\users\documents\games\Stronghold Legends" directory if it doesn't already exist.
WARNING: Be very careful! The game will attempt to read and write files from the specified directory. Use at your own risk!
To use the default directory, leave it blank or delete the options_override.xml file
PLEASE NOTE: Steam Cloud will NOT work if you use an override path. Steam Cloud only works with the Documents\Stronghold Legends folder.
7) Do you have an anti-virus program installed on your computer?
Lots of games have problems with overprotective anti-virus programs. If you are using anti-virus please make sure Stronghold Legends has been added to your list of exceptions. Please consult your anti-virus manual for instructions on how to do this. The default installation path for the Stronghold Legends game file is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\Stronghold Legends\StrongholdLegends.exe
8) Use the Windows System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted Windows system files
System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. This article describes how to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files.
9) If you can't load the launcher, try loading the game directly
Before loading the game the Firefly Launcher should appear. If the launcher is not appearing then you can load Stronghold Legends directly by browsing to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\Stronghold Legends and running StrongholdLegends.exe *
10) Create a new local user account
Some errors occur because of a problem with the current Windows local user account. Create a new local user account using the following instructions:
Run Stronghold Legends in the new local user account.
If you are still experiencing problems, please contact support with the following information:
- A detailed description of the problem (ideally with steps on how to reproduce it)
- A list of any security systems on your computer including anti-virus software
- A dxdiag file from your computer so that we can view your computer spec. Instructions on how to create a dxdiag file can be found here: http://support.fireflyworlds.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/115
* - this is the default Steam install location for Stronghold Legends